Sunday, November 6, 2011

Luke: "I can't believe it"...Yoda: "That is why you fail"...

I know you are probably wondering why the random quote from Yoda and the "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster in this blog. I know we are coming upon the first round of your IB assessments. You are overwhelmed with IA's, IOP's, CAS and a thousand other things related to IB. I know many of you are frustrated, scared, and wondering if all of this is worth it. IB is completely out of your realm of experience and is the unknown. Your whole academic life you have been taught to listen to your teachers, memorize and recite back what you have been taught. For the first time, you are being asked what YOU think. YOU are being asked to come up with a thesis, a theory an idea and support it. You are not being asked to regurgitate what the teacher is telling you. You have a say, a voice, a brain. You are being asked to use it. Yes, there are rules and guidelines about how you use it, but you get to think for yourself. This is very scary but also very cool. Just remember. You are smart, you are talented and you can do this. Trust your instinct, trust in what you have learned and most of all trust yourself. I am lucky to be one of those teachers who you vent to, complain to, and run to when you're scared. I listen to what you have to say and I will always be there to help you. I am also the one who is taking off your training wheels and making you think for yourself. You are the best and brightest of Lake Weir. Remember that. Most of these battles you are waging are within yourself. Trust yourself. Believe. And to quote Yoda and Nike: just do it, there is no try. I believe all of you can do this. You have a gift. Many students would kill for the brain you have. Don't waste it. I want to watch all of you walk out of here with your IB diploma and go out and be successful, make more money than me, and maybe change the world. Don't let me down. And more importantly, don't let yourself down. Please feel free to comment on my little pep talk.

Love and eternal support,

Fergie/Madame Yoda

23 comments:

  1. (Tear) Seriously, there was a tear. I Love IT! I LOVE YOU FERGIE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fergie. You understand the fact that the IB life is harder than a regular high schooler's life, and even though sometimes we feel like giving up and letting it defeat us, we don't because we know it will pay off in the long run. Besides, I'm not a quitter. Even though I got all this work and don't get as good as grades as Matt, I'm not giving up. "I remain a soldier till the war is won."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Besides, me and charles are gonna go to the same college with our scholarships and party with women and goats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog reminds me of the song "carry on my wayword son."
    Carry on my wayward son
    There'll be peace when you are done
    Lay your weary head to rest
    Don't you cry no more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww this made me smile. "Only thing we have to feart is fear itself." It is not that we are not capable of doing, saying, and being something it's not BELIEVING that one can do, say, or be something. My greatest fear is believing in myself. It's not that I can't its the fact that I fail to realize I can.
    Thanks Madame Yoda!!!

    Random qoute: I think Jews are the smartest people in the world.
    Rob Reiner

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow it's definently quote sorry:P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww thanks Ms.Fergie :) I am happy to know that some teachers are out there for us to listen to. I think I need to make a poster and write all the reasons why I originally wanted to be in IB so that I can constantly remember them when I want to give up. I know that everyone will succeed if we can just remember why we are here in the first place. Thanks Fergie :) I love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janiel -what do jews have to do with anything?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't judge me!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I would have read this before I presented my Group 4 project, but this will definately help with the chaos to come. Thank you very much for the inspiration(: - Sylvia Williams

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the inspirational words Mama ferg ill really think of this pep talk next time im feeling down about something :)Brandon Day

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm beyond ecstatic to have you as a teacher this year and my senior year for English because you are by far one of the coolest teachers ever and I do love how much you understand us and how you are always there for us when we are stressing out and we can talk to you about it. This makes me feel a lot more confident about my IOP for your class and I can't wait to see what else we do in your class! Thank you Fergie!, (: - Alicia Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Mama Ferg this really help me realize that I will be just fine in Ib and it changed my mind of quitting IB and of not going to college.
    -Matthew Greene

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Ms. Ferguson I really appreciate the reassurance and I'm so happy that your not one of those teachers that actually understand that we do have a lot on our plate. I really needed this pep talk.
    -Kayla Barrett

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks mrs fergiie! Its always good to know that someone believes in us and is there to give us good advice and reassurance:) Thank u!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know I contributed to this special blog post because of how much I complain and ask for your help. Thank you so much for being there, Mama Ferg. You are such an inspiration and our success will be greatly influenced by you. I absolutely love your class and your methods of teaching make going to school enjoyable. This reminds me of the quote, "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure". I know I can do this, I just need your reassurance sometimes (: I love you! - Barack

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks! Your the best. Love you!
    ~Haley

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Ms. Ferguson! This is a really nice thing to read when there's so much to do and learn :) -Lindsey Tonnesen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Fergie. Definitely glad i have had you for all 3 years of my high school life! I couldnt ask for a better teacher. Love youuuuuuuu! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're the best at making us all feel better Fergie. n.n

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Fergie :) thanks for being there for us, its nice to receive some motivation here and there. Your awesome! Love you!
    -Ashley Collins

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wish I would've read this earlier I love you Fergie:) you are absolutely the best and thank you for letting me talk to you about my mom :) love you!!!- Taylor Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are beyond powerful words! SOOO happy to have you as a teacher. I swear the only motivation is from you! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete